Did you know that the average person changes jobs 10-15 times during their career? The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) has revealed that this number has significantly been increasing as the job market continues to modernize. Finding the right job for you may take some experience and time, which is why you need to get your PHD in executing an interview! Here are the major factors to look out for:
1. Dress for Success: Stating the obvious but you need to look the part! This is your audition to represent their company and you must look professional. This doesn’t mean you need expensive brand name clothing, you can just as easily buy a dress shirt from your local thrift store. Just remember the little things that matter like ironing your clothes, your attention to detail can be shown through your appearance.
2. Preparing for Questions: Be ready for their questions but be careful not to sound scripted! We suggest writing down bullet points and practice answering questions with a family member or friend before your interview. Remember the key questions:
– Why are you a good fit for this company/what makes you a good candidate?
– Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
– Why do you want this job? What interests you about this specific job?
– Can you give an example of your work (in specified area)?
3. Edit your Resume: Follow the steps we gave you in our previous blog: The Art of Crafting a Resume.
4. Come Prepared: Have a printed copy of your cover letter and resume. One for yourself and one for your interviewer. Make sure you have background knowledge of the company and industry you are applying for. You should be able to easily describe the job description that you are applying for. Do your research!